Hundreds of games were released for Super Nintendo during the consoles lifetime. There are so many, that it can be hard to choose which you want to buy for your collection. Below is a list of the top ten must own games for the SNES and why they should be in your collection.
10. Donkey Kong Country – Play as Donkey Kong as he tries to get back all his stolen bananas, serves him right for stealing Peach from Mario in the original Donkey Kong arcade game. The first game ever made with pre-rendered 3D graphics so for an SNES game it looks really good. A fun game with lots of replay value because there are different things to collect in each level. pgslot
9. Super Mario Kart – The first kart racing game ever. You get to race around a track and shoot objects at your opponents to slow them down. Good as a single player game, but great with multi-player. Racing against a friend or battling is one of the first great multi-player experiences on a console.
8. Tetris and Dr. Mario – Two great puzzle games on one cartridge. The classic Tetris with improved graphics (color) and virus busting Dr. Mario puzzler too. For puzzle fans these are two of the best and are good for hundreds of hours of fun.
7. Starfox – This paved the way for the 3D games we all play today. It was the first major game to use 3D models for all graphics. You play as Fox McCloud and fly a space ship as you try to shoot down enemies, fly through hoops, and defeat gigantic bosses. Fox McCloud is now a playable character is the Super Smash Bros series so you an see his start in this game.
6. Super Punch-Out – The follow up to Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out of NES. This game has better graphics, new characters, and even appearances by your old favorites. The game is just fun to play. Funny characters, a slow increase in difficulty, weaknesses you have to learn. You will enjoy this boxing game, especially if you played the original.
5. NBA Jam – “He’s On Fire”. Anyone who has played this game will remember this line from the announcers. Any time one player makes three baskets they literally light up on fire and can make shots from anywhere. One of the original arcade style sports games where you can push and hit other players and it doesn’t follow the typical rules of basketball. See if you can find “Big Head” mode and other hidden easter eggs that change your players appearance.
4. Zelda Link to the Past – The sequel to Zelda on NES, Link to the Past is an adventure game through Hyrule with great puzzles, new weapons, and incredible game play. Link has to navigate between light and dark worlds as he makes his way to save Princess Zelda. Many people think LTTP is their favorite Zelda game, which considering the other great Zelda games is saying quite a lot.
3. Super Mario RPG – A rare game that can be hard to find, but worth it. Its a very funny RPG taking place in the Mushroom Kingdom with all the Mario characters including Bowser, Peach, Toad, and more. Mario RPG makes fun of past Mario games and leads to the Mario and Luigi RPG and Paper Mario games. It was developed by Square, who are well known for their RPG Final Fantasy RPG games.
2. Super Metroid – The sequel to the original Metroid for Nintendo. Super Metroid has more weapons, new areas to explore and a more difficult bosses. Consistently rated in the many top 100 lists, it was rated the best game of all time by Electronic Gaming Monthly. Its fantastic level design is often seen as a pinnacle in game development.